Courage in the Workplace
“Turning words into action”
Organizations love words. Whether it is an employee policy on holiday leave, a compliance policy on the treatment of suspected malpractice or a strategy statement about the business vision, people in organizations put enormous effort into writing rules and processes.
How many organizations however put the same energy into making sure that those words are reflected in the behaviour of employees? How many times do we expect that a new policy will be followed simply because we have written it? Or do we really believe that asking employees to change their behaviour, even a little bit, is too hard and as long as we have done our job in setting out our expectations, it’s not our or the organizations ‘fault’ if something goes wrong?
This simplistic approach no longer works. Enron failed despite having a comprehensive ethics policy, Fortune Magazine has quoted that “7 out of 10 CEOs who fail, do so not because of bad strategy, but because of bad execution” and a recent Towers Watson study highlighted that 75% of change management initiatives are not successful.
Implementation is the key to success and organizations need to ensure that fine words are turned into employee action.
While we try to be good at everything we do, we can only be great at a few things. We support the following workplace areas;
- Compliance – We support Compliance teams with both their internal development e.g. to become more business focused; and supporting them embed policies into their workplace e.g. new regulatory frameworks or workplace values initiatives (such as integrity or ethics).
- Human Resources – We support HR teams with their internal development and have a separate website (www.courageoushr.com) that also provides a range of self-assessment tools, white papers and other resources for individuals and teams.
- Implementing strategy – We support businesses, functions and teams to articulate and implement their functional or business strategy.
We provide practical advice and support that is based on the latest research combined with tried and tested organizational techniques. We have a range of tools and assessments that we use with our clients to develop and embed action in the workplace.
Our name comes from our belief that courage – the willingness to act despite the uncertainties of the outcome – is the key competency that workplaces need to develop in order to be successful.
Our Value to our Clients
Through the use of organizational, team and individual tools, techniques, enablers and advice, we help our clients to;
- turn words into action
- turn vision into employee behaviour
- gain the skills, knowledge and competencies to deliver effective outcomes